12.23.2012

Greetings from Statin [sic] Island, Part Three

By mid-afternoon on Tuesday, I needed another breather. Our work was going to wind down for the day and I really needed some fresh air. So I removed the mask and gloves and went for a walk with my iPhone camera ready to record what I saw. I wanted to get a better sense of the context in which the Davis residence lay, and also to see how the storm affected other parts of their neighborhood.

This sign appeared on a storm fence surrounding the wetland
area shown immediately below.

Just 50 yards from the Davis residence, I found this wetland area, shown above and below. I believe this helps to explain at least part of Joe's concern about storms and flooding. As the Staten Island Advance article states, he "had a vivid premonition several years ago that a major storm would hit Staten Island." According to the article, this led to a failed attempt to shore up his property against such a possibility.

Tires and other debris rest in the wetland area on Freeborn
Street just yards from the Davis residence.

Flooding should be of great concern for residents of this neighborhood. Rising sea levels might very well change the Island's landscape in the next 100 years.

Freeborn Street, flooded after just a half day of steady, moderate rainfall.

I discovered many other artifacts as I walked through the neighborhood that afternoon.

New York Yankees knit hat on the fence of
the Davis' neighbors across the street.

A Christmas card on the ground in front of the
same house. This summed up my feelings, too,
after 23 hours of driving over five days of
the Thanksgiving weekend between Washington
 and North Carolina, and then Washington and New York.

An album found on the ground of the home next door.

More albums; classic 1970s.

Further along Hunter Avenue, a boat unmoored from its berth,
now lying aside a house.

I think this is an MG ....

It always pays to look up once in a while.
I spotted this umbrella hanging from a telephone cable,
deposited by the floodwaters. This is a stark reminder of
the height of the floodwaters.

A garden shed upturned behind a damaged fence.

Damaged homes marked by FEMA.

A garage, still standing.

I continued my way down the street. I could see Midland Beach in the distance. I was drawn to it, and decided to keep walking. I crossed Father Capodanno Boulevard and entered a large parking lot, where New York City had set up an emergency management center. All the official personnel there had taken shelter from the rain inside large trucks. So no one stopped me as I walked by, even though I'm quite sure I wasn't allowed to proceed through this area.

One of the vehicles at the NYC emergency headquarters
 for Staten Island.

The beach and FDR boardwalk were closed to all visitors. I heeded
the sign and turned toward some activity off to the right instead.

There I saw the newly made dumping ground for debris gathered
from the storm. I wonder where this stuff will eventually end up?
I'm sure it's full of lead paint, asbestos, and other toxins.

I appreciate the fact that the images I am publishing here of property destruction are sensitive. They represent people's lives, and possibly I have published photos of properties where the residents may have died. I thank all whose property I have photographed and hope that these photos may help to remind outsiders and Staten Islanders alike that, even when this story moves to the back pages, it will affect these lives for decades to come.

As I had made my way down Hunter Avenue earlier, I spotted these wooden stars fixed to successive telephone poles. I don't know whether these were placed there by an outsider who came in to help, or by a resident.

"You're braver than you believe,
Stronger than you seem."

"Learn from yesterday,
Live for today."

"Lean on me."

For a week afterward, I kept singing the classic Bill Withers tune to myself, over and over again. For any and all who have needed to lean on a friend or loved one this year, as I have done, keep this song in mind and never hesitate to ask for help. That's what the Davis family did.


Previous posts:  Greetings from Statin [sic] Island, Part One and Part Two.


Next post:  Greetings from Statin [sic] Island, Part Four.
See also:  Greetings from Statin [sic] Island, Epilogue and Post Script.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments.